Thursday, November 11, 2010

Why This...Why Now

My run went surprisingly well yesterday.  It actually felt good to run during the running intervals.  I tried slowing my pace a bit which helped tremendously and I think I was a bit more relaxed and confident today than I was on Monday.  Unfortunately, after the session was completed my legs felt like they were going to give out any moment.  It was strange because during the run my legs felt fine but as soon as I stopped to walk the pain would set in.  My breathing was good and I didn’t feel winded like I did previously.  All in all it was a great run and I am ready to complete week one.
Several of you have asked me what program I am doing.  It is called Couch to 5K and it is FREE!  It is a program that gets you from sitting on the couch to running 3.1 miles in just nine weeks.  Yes NINE weeks!   They have it all planned out and tell you exactly what to run.  To help me know when to run and walk I downloaded some podcasts that were available for FREE online.   You can find the one I am currently using here.  I enjoy the music but most of all I find being told when to run and stop to walk very helpful.  The music works out better than having to constantly keep looking down at a watch.    
Another question I have gotten is what meal plan I am using.  I currently don’t have a meal plan and don’t plan on going on one either.  I eat what I want to eat.  I just do it in moderation.  The only thing I have done is cut out candy.  Literally I would fill up on candy and not want to eat a decent meal.  I won’t deprive myself but I won’t buy it and bring it into the house.  I am horrible at mindless eating.  The other day I ate a pound of baby carrots in one sitting!  It was all because I was watching a show and not being conscious of eating so many.  Lucky for me they were only carrots but had that been a bag of chips…whew, that wouldn’t have been healthy.  What seems to work now and has worked in the past for me is to eat small meals six times a day.  The day looks like this for eating:
Breakfast
Snack (no more than 150 calories)
Lunch
Snack (once again no more than 150 calories)
Dinner
Snack (no more than 150 calories)
You would be surprised at how full you will be if you eat throughout the day and not starve yourself.  As previously stated, these are small meals.  They are appropriately portioned meals.  Remember, portion control is your friend!  I think any time you limit yourself it all becomes a mind game.  Why not have a slice of pizza that you have been craving?  Then pair it with a nice salad?  That seems healthy enough.  I am not a professional but I would think that if you were cognizant of the types of food that were entering into your body you would be fine.  Instead of eating a lot of processed foods why not try to eat ‘whole’ foods?  By eating whole foods you can cut out a lot of preservatives and calories.  Plus it is healthier.  And that is our goal, isn’t it? 
I have been thinking a lot lately about my new found peace with myself and body.  Anyone who really knew me would tell you that I worried a lot about my weight in the past.  Just gaining five pounds would freak me out.  Back then I was never healthy or engaging in activities that were good for me.  After having JW my thinking and body image was transformed.  Instead of wanting to be a certain size or weight I decided that I needed a lifestyle change not an appearance change.  I wanted something that would benefit me and my family.  I chose being healthy and active so my child has something positive to emulate.  I could’ve chosen to diet and lose weight but what was that really accomplishing?  Yea, I would be skinnier but would I be able to go out and really play with my son?  Would we be able to enter races as a family and center our family fun around physical activities?  I think not.  There is more to life than being skinny and fitting into a certain size jean.  Skinny jeans won’t make memories.  I will make them because I am taking my life by the reins and living it to the fullest!       
The inspiration…my motivation…(isn't he adorable?!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment