Sunday, November 7, 2010

Embracing Myself

Over the next nine weeks I will be training for a 5K.  It won’t be easy for me as I haven't exercised in years.  One could say I am a professional couch potato.  During my years in the Air Force I would run once a year to pass a mandatory fitness test.  It would almost kill me trying to run 1.5 miles, crunches and push-ups.  I was so out of shape but no one really knew because I was skinny.  Maybe they just didn’t care because I would pass my fitness test and met the uniform standards.  Back then I was as unhealthy as it gets but it really was never addressed.  Currently I am considered obese based on my BMI (Body Mass Index).  Yep, you read that right, OBESE.  Looking at myself in the mirror, which I rarely do, I would have never classified myself obese.  In my mind’s eye I saw myself about average.  Not too big and not too little but thanks to the CDC's BMI calculator I now know I need to lose weight.  Just to be considered overweight I need to lose 12 pounds.  Am I really that out of shape or unhealthy?  Personally I don’t feel that I am but numbers don’t lie.  These days I eat healthier and make sure that every calorie counts due to me breastfeeding JW my 3 month old son.  My goal has been to treat my body with respect especially since I am my child’s food source.  All of this got me thinking that most women would not dare share their weight.  Women keep that number secret and avoid it like the plague.  I have decided I am going to fully disclose all information about my body.  Why?  Because I am not my weight.  I am not a number.  I am me.  And I really do like me. 

After having my baby (13 weeks ago via c-section) I thought I could privately lose the weight for fear someone might see the new (obese) me.  What a silly perception that was.  I would go to the park during the middle of the day when most people are at work in order to avoid being seen.  My second day walking in the park I ran into an old friend from school.  This is the absolute last person I wanted to encounter because she is naturally gorgeous and I wasn't wearing any makeup and had on tights which accentuated my rather large thighs.  She on the other hand...is especially stunning even in gym clothes and no makeup.  At first I thought I would try to ignore her and hope she didn't recognize me but, alas, no such luck.  She knew it was me and I was caught!  As we were talking I kept staring at her to see if she was thinking any negative thoughts about me.  Crazy, right?  Am I the only woman who does this?  After this little run-in I was thinking about the way I had internally reacted and was disappointed with myself.  Instead of really enjoying and taking advantage of this moment I spent it worrying that she was judging me.  She wasn't judging me, I was judging me.  In that instant I realized that I had to get a grip on my self esteem.  I couldn't keep hiding myself and dodging my friends.  So I decided to run.  My decision to run really isn't about losing the weight (though it is an obvious benefit).  It is about respecting my body and accepting me for who I am no matter my size.  It is about having a healthier lifestyle.  Running takes mental preparation and determination.  It takes discipline.  I cannot hide while running and entering into races.  I will be in public (gasp) running my booty off.  No pun intended.  :) 

I don't want to hide and I certainly don't want to be ashamed because, at the end of the day, I am still Heather no matter how much I weigh.  Maybe by embracing myself (for once) I will learn to love myself and treat my body with respect.  I am running for me and I don’t care who sees!
    
This week I will post pictures of my true self, share my weight, BMI calculation and body fat %.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment