Wednesday, November 10, 2010

5 pounds

Here are the stats and pictures as promised...
Height:     5’3”
Weight:    176  
BMI:         31.2 

I got awesome news today when I stepped on the scale!  Last Tuesday I made the conscious decision to start weighing myself.  Prior to this I didn’t know how much I weighed because I refused to know.  Throughout my whole pregnancy I was the kooky woman being weighed backwards so I couldn’t see the scale!  My chart had “Do NOT tell PT her weight” written across the top in big red letters.  I have always hated scales.  Even if I was at a good number I would get fixated and think I needed to lose just five more pounds.  Now though, I have decided it would be good to know my weight so that I can track any changes.  It was quite comical watching my father and me banter back and forth about whether or not I should know my weight.  You would’ve thought we were deciding how to resolve world hunger by the way we were going on about it.  Finally I pushed myself on the scale and kept repeating “I am not a number…I am HEATHER”!  I weighed in at 181 pounds.  Surprisingly I was okay with that number.  My goal isn’t about losing weight.  It’s about running a 5K.  You see, I think that, if my goal was reversed and my focus was solely on losing weight, I would be upset with how much I weigh.  This is why I don’t think dieting alone works.  Your goal is to lose weight but not necessarily change your lifestyle or find some physical activity you enjoy.  Today I was asked if I was dieting along with running.  The answer is no.  Let me first clarify so you don’t think I am sitting at home eating whatever comes across my plate.  (The old me would eat Twizzlers or popcorn and call it a meal.)  These days I am making more informed choices about what I eat and put into my body.  I realize that I can’t eat candy and snacks all day to live healthy.  It all boils down to moderation.  Two of my reasons for not “dieting” are as follow:  
1)      Dieting limits your caloric intake which I can’t do because of breastfeeding JW.  As a breastfeeding mother if I don’t provide my body with enough calories my milk supply will suffer.
2)      Dieting instead of making a lifestyle change seems counterproductive.  Why not just change your mindset and make permanent fixes instead of temporary ones?  Dieting, in my opinion, is a temporary fix. 
It would definitely be easier for me to diet and control my food.  Being a control freak comes easily to my Type A personality.
Without “dieting” I lost a whopping 5lbs in a week!  I almost fell off the scale when I saw 176lbs!  I ran out to the living room to my family screaming with excitement.  My dad took a picture of the scale for me so I could share with everyone how much I weighed.
 
Today I realized more than ever that exercise combined with healthy eating habits does work!
If you are interested in knowing your BMI find out what it is here.

5 comments:

  1. I totally love your mindset! I've always been against the 'dieting' too and more about the lifestyle. Most people who diet don't really realize the reasoning or mechanics behind the diet they are following. Why does that diet 'temporarily' work?..they don't really know. Most 'diets' just to loose weight are bogus in my opinion. You have to have a 'healthy' body complete with proper and balanced nutrition and exercise, not just a lack of certain foods. I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I am so proud of you. WAY to GO!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to Go!!!! Keep up the good work!!! I know its hard but in the long run you are going to be alot happier!!! I dont believe in dieting either it doesnt do any good I eat what I like but just smaller portions and it is working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking at the park while she is running. I started walk-running over 25 years ago and I have completed 24 marathons since that time. Good Luck Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys and thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete