Monday, November 8, 2010

That's IT?!

I am not going to lie today was more challenging than I had anticipated.  During the run I kept wondering why I had even set out to achieve this particular goal.  Each time I started running I didn’t think I would make it through the entire 60 seconds.  Reading the plan on paper it looked to be a whole lot easier than what it actually turned out to be for me.  Run 60 seconds then walk for 90 seconds that seemed painless enough.  Once I was out there doing it I found out quickly just how out of shape I am.  It was nice though having my son and father walking behind me cheering me on as I worked hard to run.  Okay, JW wasn’t cheering but I am sure one day he will be proud of me for doing this.  Having a father who runs marathons for fun would seem to be beneficial in case I have any questions, right?!  NO!  Don’t get me wrong, my father supports my efforts but he doesn’t understand just how hard my body is working to keep me going forward each step of the way.  At one point when I had finished one of the 60 seconds he yelled out at me and said, “that’s it?!”  I honestly wanted to punch him at that point.  Well maybe not punch him but I was seriously annoyed at him in that moment.  J  Being my size isn’t easy running and getting my booty moving.  I joke and say that I have two big ham hocks weighing me down on my backside. 

    
How did I get to this point of being so out of shape?  It is a simple answer.  Smoking, drinking and being very lazy all got me to where I am at today.  During that time I was skinny and didn’t worry that I was unhealthy.  It didn’t matter to me because outwardly I looked healthy enough.  However, all of those bad habits set me up to fail and fail I did.  Now I am feeling all of the years of damage I did to my body.  I wish I could go back and undo a lot of the harm I put my body through but I can’t.  All I have is today and I am fine with that.  As long as I make each day count and make it as healthy as possible then I am headed in the right direction.  This is a life style because anything else is a temporary fix.  Temporary is no longer adequate because now I have a child who needs me to be a good example.     
After finishing week one day one of the program I am quite pleased with myself.  I know it is going to be strenuous but I have confidence in myself to see it through and accomplish this goal.
Pictures and stats of my body should be up this week.  My little brother is going to play photographer and measure me.  I am so thankful to have him help me because I know that he isn’t judging me no matter what. 
If any of you are on the fence about starting a running program get off of it and just DO IT!           

5 comments:

  1. Heather I am glad to hear that you are doing something that is not only beneficial for you but for your child. You are setting a great example. I too have started looking at taking care of myself better and 24lbs lighter i feel great. I still Have a ways to go. Good luckin your adventure and i will be following you all the way. By the way tell Josh Little Bobby says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! 24 pounds is AWESOME! I will let Josh know you said hello. He seems to be doing well and in good spirits these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I smile when I keep reading your posts. Proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Head! good job i'll try to be over there tomorrow to take pictures and everything... Love you and good job!

    ReplyDelete