Thursday, November 25, 2010

Spirtual Running

The coolest thing is happening.  People all around me are putting on their running shoes and hitting the pavement!  I find that running has given me much more than just a chance to partake in a healthy activity.  Running has given me confidence.  As much as it is a very physical sport it is even more of a mental challenge.  Sometimes, everything about me both physically and mentally is telling me to stop.  Only my willpower is telling me to keep going.  Only when you push through all of the self-doubt will your confidence break through.  I won’t say that I don’t worry each week as the running distance increases, but I now have the confidence in myself to know I will finish.  I am proud of myself and of my body.  It is amazing what my body is accomplishing after such a long period of being sedentary. 
Some of you might be wondering about my weight since I have started this program.  I have not lost any weight since losing 5 pounds after the initial week.  I am still hovering at the 176 mark.  As I said in the beginning, my goal is not to lose weight.  My goal is still simply to run a 5K.  But, by being more physically active, losing weight will be a benefit.  I have gained so many benefits from running that merely losing weight could never offer me.  Weight loss is an outward change but running has been a spiritual change for me.  It has touched me deeper than I can describe.  I feel more centered and more in tune with my spiritual side.  During my run I pray and I think about the things that I am most thankful for.  It is a time of being one with God with no interruptions.  You could call it my individual worship service. 

Today, as you are celebrating Thanksgiving with your family, please take a moment to remember the men and women who are serving our country honorably and will not be at home with family and friends.  Our family will be missing our soldier, my husband…Josh.  God bless you all!       

2 comments:

  1. You are getting there. A few weeks and we'll be jogging our way to a cool Polar Bear long-sleeved T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I am super excited. Thanks for going out there with me while I run. It has been great having you there!

    ReplyDelete